Sunday, September 29, 2013

Making Room For Heat

We are about to get a new heating system and the best way to run the duct work is up the same spot the chimney occupies, so guess what has to go. It was a shame to take it down, and it took a lot to do it, and we still have more to do, about 15 feet worth. Once I got the exterior work done I worked in the attic. Then I boarded up the opening and shingled it making it water tight once again. What we did was I would chisel away at each brick, and I mean each one, they were in place and very study, then drop in down the flu pipe, ReBecca was in the basement and would pull out the  brick and all the debris like the clay lining and extra mortar the fell. We both had on respirators but it was still very dirty and we are beat. Still more to do.


Before I started.

Below the roof line now.


This is what the clay liner looked like, not very good.

What I had to work with in the attic.
Slowly coming down.

Gone.

New shingles.

New Look.

No comments:

Post a Comment