Now I'm ready for drywall. In my last post I mentioned I thought I would have to build up the strapping around the window close to an inch because of the original window frame. Well as I started today I only used ½ inch beside the window frame and was planing to hand plan the frame down to the thickness I needed to keep it smooth, after the drywall went up. I also just built it up a bit more in spots to keep it flush, at least as flush as I can make it with existing structure. The reason I didn't have to build it up as much as I thought was because I'll just cut away the frame that is too high and not worry about how it looks, because I still have to replace the trim around the new window that is inside the old frame. And the face trim will be 4 inches and cover the old frame all together, much less to worry about now.
Most of this strapping is 2 - 4 inches wide. I wanted a large surface to screw the drywall too. The bottom is 6 inches, perfect for securing our 8 inch baseboards too.
Not allot of wall space for insulation, only 4 inch thick walls. There still is the ¾ inch Styrofoam on the outside. And this room wasn't cold last winter, and as you saw previously there wasn't much insulation in the walls then, so now it will be much better.
I haven't felt a draft in the house yet and adding the vapor barrier only helps.
No comments:
Post a Comment