Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Creating A Mess

The title about sums up what I did today, created a mess. One that is easily cleaned up. I cut through the closet from the master bedroom into the adjacent bedroom, which we'll us as a dressing room. It was a bit thicker than a normal wall, there was the normal one layer of drywall nailed over the old laths, not plaster, inside the closet. But on the other side of that was a different storey, the lath and plaster were still in place along with two, count them two layers of drywall. Someones reno over another reno. Now the walls look good and there is no reason to pull down the extra, it did make for one heavy cut out to carry down the stairs. We don't know why the second layer was added, when we pulled the top on off the bottom one looked to be in great shape, even the old wall paper was in tact. I doubt ReBecca would want it throughout the house but it shouldn't have been too hard to remove it, or maybe it was. Another thing I did today was remove the old door frames, they went from about 28½ inches to 32½ inches, plenty of room for new frames and doors.
Nice clean lines cut into the drywall in the closet, used a reciprocating saw to cut the laths.
I used the reciprocating saw from the other side to make the cut through, a little wavy, this can be cleaned up after.
Here is the cut out with the top layer of drywall pulled off, exposing the old wall paper print.
A close-up of the wall paper print.

No comments:

Post a Comment