Well the kitchen is completed and I found a couple of new developments. We wanted to fix the dip in the ceiling between the kitchen and dining room, this meant once the old support beam was exposed we could brace the ceiling, jack it up, replace the old header and supports and we'd be done. It still is going to happen but there is one step the turns out to easier then I thought. The existing header isn't holding an load, in fact the one side was resting on an old 3 x 4 post and the only thing holding it in place was drywall, I quickly screwed a 2 x 4 in to hold it in place. No wonder the ceiling sagged and the bedroom above had a dip in the floor. I am hoping we can straighten it out a bit before we put down the floors.
With all the interior walls down I was able to see where the old wiring went and ReBecca and I tracked it down, and pulled it out. Some were still live but that didn't take long to correct. ReBecca is going to recycle the copper wire, maybe into her art.
Kitchen wall, interesting wall paper and access to the chimney.
A closer look at the wall paper.
This is the kitchen side of the header, I don't know if you can see it or not but they just nailed the two 2 x 10's together in place and through the old sheetrock.
You can see the protruding nails after I removed the sheetrock.
The kitchen wall that I thought we could remove, ReBecca noticed that it is tight up to the ceiling and the strapping. We don't need the extra 4 inches that bad.
This is the low point between the main beam and the header, I can see right under it, not even touching.
This is what we pulled out of the walls in the kitchen and dining room, and all the way into the attic, an nice little pile of copper wire.
No comments:
Post a Comment