Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Looking Back - Part VI

One last thing to see is how the floors transformed. We started in January 2012 pulling up the floors from the upstairs and then the living room. Once they were back in my shop I started working on them, I had to get them squared up. First thing I did was go over them with a little metal detector to find any old nails in the wood and I found quite a bit. Then I had to plan them flat, some work was done on the under side as they were never planned smooth and then I had to joint one edge so I could run them through the table saw to continue with squaring them up.  With the boards milled down to ¾ inch and the sides parallel I could cut in the tongue and grove needed too put them down, but first I filled the old nail holes, sanded them, then the routing work came. This work in the shop took 22 days and a lot of effort. After the milling was done I had 19 large garbage bags of saw dust and shavings and we still had ¾ inch of flooring left.

This is what we started with, here is the living room floors.


One small pile of old nails removed. A future project I think.
After using the metal detector this is
what I pulled out of the boards.
A long road but here are all the boards dressed.





A look at the tounge and groove I cut into each board.
A new look for the upstairs hallway,
originally they went across the hall.


Just the stain applied.
 
Three coats of ply alppied., the dressing room.
 
The south end of the upstairs hallway, were the
old bathroom was.

No comments:

Post a Comment